Search Term Optimization Delivers $4 Million Savings
A Fortune 200 domestic pharmaceutical company and a Fortune Global 250 international pharmaceutical company, with combined annual revenues of more than $49 billion.
High-profile litigation involving large volumes of proprietary data that must be reviewed against tight deadlines and high expectations for quality.
- FindForward™ Analytics
Our clients faced potentially expensive, disproportionate review costs, and needed a defensible way to reduce the volume of review populations. Specifically:
- Plaintiff-provided terms returned an unnecessarily large volume of irrelevant documents, resulting in inefficient culling and driving high review costs.
- Overwhelming amounts of data were collected, exceeding 20 million documents, with more than 7 million containing plaintiff’s search terms.
We implemented DiscoverReady Respond and FindForward™ Analytics to increase the precision of culling while maintaining a high level of recall. This included:
- Statistical analysis of keyword search terms, encompassing sampling, assessment, and optimization of terms.
- A standardized, defensible process to create statistically defensible samples and infer characteristics of a large data set, streamlining and reducing manual review of documents.
- Documentation detailing the case-specific process and findings aiding during the negotiation and meet-and-confer process.
- Returned $4 million in savings from a $40,000 investment in optimization and validation.
- Reduced volume of documents requiring human intervention by 60%.
- Doubled precision and maintained a recall rate of 97%.
- Used file type and social networking analysis to further reduce non-responsive documents from review.