AMLAW 200 law firm on behalf of a leading tobacco company in the United States.
This case was a fast-moving class action lawsuit. With just four weeks to complete review for responsiveness and privilege on a data set of nearly one million documents, outside counsel called DiscoverReady on a Friday morning to request help with review and production of documents under short deadline.
- Review Services
- Consulting Services
Initially this eDiscovery project was conducted with another eDiscovery provider, using external-hosting for review and a predictive coding tool. As the initial effort progressed, the client and counsel lost confidence in the tools and results, when some important documents surfaced after being overlooked. They needed a more effective solution.
The client and counsel sought out DiscoverReady to do a course correction on the review and keep the project on track. Specific challenges included:
- A need to rapidly ramp up a review team to more than 100reviewers in less than 48 hours.
- Adjust processes and workflow to compensate for the lack of features in the externally-hosted review tool, including keyterm highlighting.
- Coordinating review across external and internal teams to ensure the documents were coded correctly and deadline met.
The DiscoverReady consulting team considered the big picture – workflows, technology and processes – to create a plan to keep the project on track. Collaborating closely with outside counsel, DiscoverReady consultants utilized expert managed review personnel to ensure consistency of coding and to closely track the progress of the review team. The team worked extended hours and weekends to meet the required timetables.
DiscoverReady Review Services focus on applying the right talent to every task, automating and optimizing workflows and improving speed and accuracy. Among the Review Services employed:
- Initial Targeted Review assures that the most likely responsive
documents are prioritized for review.
- Smart Assignments™ leverage continuous learning analytics to inform decisions, assess proportionality, and optimize review for the most cost-effective results.
- Report Gateway and DR Dashboard reporting monitor case data as it moves from ingestion through processing, review and production, and track review progress.
- No Sanctions: On-time production eliminated the possible
risk of sanctions.
- Rapid Response: Having received a request on a Friday, DiscoverReady coordinated a kick off of the review team the following Monday.
- Optimized Talent: Trained more than 200 reviewers on the substantive background of the case and document review tool.
- Accelerated Review: The expanded team reviewed close to one million documents and logged more than ten thousand privilege documents in less than four weeks to meet deadline.